The post office and shop in Cottingley was started with the princely sum of sixpence by Ida Frear and her husband William in 1929. Prior to this Cottingley ran a sub post office of Bingley at 38/40 Main Street within a private house where a branch of Liverpool and Martins Bank also carried out transactions. This banking arrangement, started in 1919 and closed 22nd February 1929.
Eric (William & Ida's son) and Margaret Frear took over the shop and post office
in the late 1940's.
It moved from Main Street to The Parade in October 1999.
A group of children outside Cottingley Post Office. The shop was owned by A. Fearnside (a Practical Boot and Shoe Maker) at the time. Date of photograph is not known.
Old Post Office at 32 Hollings Street 1906/7. Emma Mainwaring (nee Livock, sister of Maria Fielding who is grandmother of Maurice Atack) in doorway with son, Fred Mainwaring aged about 5 years.
Photo courtesy Eric Walker