The Grange, erected in 1671 was the home of the Hollings family, with its pleasant garden sloping down to the beck and looking across to the ancient hostelry known as the Sun Inn. In the late 1800's it was the home of Mr. George Holmes (merchant of Swaine Street)and his wife.
The Grange was also the home of surgeon George Whyte Watson (1908-1974) for some time in the early/mid 1900's.
J Horsfall Turner in his book Ancient Bingley gives the background to Granges around the area -
Possessions of Religious Orders
THE TEMPLARS.-The chief homes of the Templars in West Yorkshire were at Temple Newsam, Temple Hurst, (near Drax and Selby), and Ribston; but Thirsk, Beverley and Newland were their chief Yorkshire centres. The Templars originated in 1119, by nine Christian Knights resolving to protect pilgrims on their visits to the Holy Sepulchre at Jerusalem. These knights had a house on the east side of the Temple ruins. In 1146, the then pope appointed the Templars to wear a red cross on the breast of their white mantles. This suggested, the martyrdom to which they stood exposed.
Spencer's Fairie Queen probably gives the true origin of the red cross:-
'And on his brest a bloodie cross he bore, the deare remembrance of his dying Lord'
The knights of St. John of Jerusalem wore a white cross on their 'black mantles'. [See Dugdale, Tanner, Burton.] In 1172 the Order had greatly increased in numbers and wealth, and before 1200 numerous possessions had been granted them in Yorkshire. Like other religious orders they began well, and probably did not end so badly as they have been represented. They vowed to fight in God's name under the Red Cross Banner, against the infidel, but never to strike a Christian; never to swear nor behave discourteously to any Christian man; to allow no woman to wait upon him, nor even to kiss his mother or his sister; to attend divine service regularly; to he frugal at meals, and to become a devout priest as well as a sincere soldier. Where they had properties at a distance they built a grange or farm-house for storing their goods and housing their steward; and from this custom, in common with other religious orders, we have many old homesteads still named Grange, as at Harden. By 1185 they held lands at Newsam, Hurst, Ribstan, Skelton, Pannel, Leventhorpe, Crossley in Thornton-dale, Skipton, Bingley, &c. By the gift of Osbert de Baines, archdeacon of West Yorkshire, 1150-74, they held an assart, or wood-clearing, which Aliz of Bingeleia held for 2s., and all service. Edward I. found in 1275 that they claimed in Skyrack free warren in Halton, Newsam, &c., but this " Halghton" may have been the village near Leeds and not the one at Harden. He charged them also with keeping and hunting with hawks, which was strictly forbidden to them. In 1308 the Templars of Yorkshire were seized and tlieir possessions taken by the king ; the pope was induced to denounce the order ; twenty-five chief Templars were confined in York Castle for over two years and then condemned at a trial, but justified by the common people and the knights' servants, so were eventually set free. They entered Selby, KirkstaII and other abbeys, in 1319-20. (Kenrick's Knights Templars in Yorkshire.)
The knights of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, the white-cross Hospitallers-obtained the possessions of their rival Order before 1324.
The Royal Charter of Henry, king of England and France, and Lord of Ireland, to Thomas Dockwra prior of the Priory or Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, confirmed by kings Edward and Richard, grant the privileges of holding lands, mills, &c., with soc, sac, tol, infangtheif, outfangtheif, hamsoc, grithbreach, bloodwitt, sichwitt, slotwitt, sledwitt, hangwitt, lotherwitt, slomeswitt, murtlier, larcenie, forestall, oredelf, orefrid, &c., and acquit from all amerciaments, they and all their men free from scott and guild and aids, bidagc, cornage, Danegeld, hornegeld, armies, wapentakes, scutage, tollage, lastage, stallage, shires and hundreds, wards and ward-pennies, averpennie, hundred pennie, lithingpennies, castleworks, parks, bridges, carriages, building of king's houses; also their woods were not to be taken, Ac. Dated at Tunstall, Nov. 15, xi Henry III. The powers thus profusely bestowed were unusually liberal, for it will be seen that not only freedom from all kinds of taxes, tolls, market charges, military dues, and other national and local impositions was granted, but they had the proving of wills, the fining of culprits, and could hang at their own gallows such miscreants as foil within their clutches. The town's miller was not allowed to take his usual measure out of their sacks when they brought their corn to be ground. It was an imperative order that on all their lands and buildings there should be the double cross erected or carved on a stone, and nearly a score of these memorials still remain in Harden, Bingley, Beck-foot, Cuckoo-nest farm (dog-kennel), Cottingley, Crossley Hall, Shuttleworth Hall near Bradford; all subject to the Manor Court of Crossley, Bingley and Pudsey, which represented the dissolved Priory or Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem. At Beckfoot also we shall notice, as an ornament on the house, what are called The Templars' Lanterns.
When the Grange was demolished, the stone with the Knight's Cross was retained and is now situated on the flats above the 'shops' at the bottom of Main Street.