This is a folly which was built by Benjamin Ferrand in 1796. The folly was erected by him so that he could see it from his residence at Harden Grange. It was built as a ruin, following the Gothic fashion of his day, and is sited in privately owned ancient woodland known as Cottingley Park.
Grade II Listed - Folly. Initialled and dated "B. F. 1796" (Benjamin Ferrand) Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar dressings. Tall wall with pointed-arch to one side of a short circular tower with 2 pointed-arched windows; with inner rebate for glazing, to either side of pointed-arched doorway with inscribed lintel. Roll-moulded band. A typical folly conventionally ruined, prominently sited on hill top above Harden village; visible from St. Ives (q.v.) the home of Benjamin Ferrand.
PLEASE NOTE Cottingley Woods are Privately owned and as such permission must be sought from the owners before venturing within them.